AI Assisted Document Creation for Modern Legal Needs

IR-5 Parent Visa

IR-5 Parent Visa

If you are a U.S citizen and have a parent or parents that are not, you might be looking to bring them over to live with you in the United States. This move could be for many reasons including greater proximity to family, better healthcare, or an increased standard of living.

The IR-5 visa allows the parent or parents of a U.S. citizen to lawfully live and work in the United States.

This is a multi-step process where the sponsoring child in the US and the parent (usually living outside the US) both complete forms, provide documents, and attend interviews.  You will complete the simple questionnaires we provide and we will use your answers to complete the complicated government forms quickly and accurately, giving you the best possible chance to have your petition succeed.  We will help you collect and submit the necessary documentation and government filing fees (not included), and provide you will materials to prepare for your interviews with USCIS.

With LawCaddy Immigration Attorneys reviewing your documents and guiding you, the difficult and confusing application process can become simple and stress-free.



*Government Fees are NOT Included in LAWCADDY Price

Parents with daughter

Eligibility and Requirements:

The IR5 parent visa allows U.S. citizens to bring foreign-born parents to the United States as permanent residents . However, this visa will have to be granted abroad and issued at the U.S. embassy or consulate in the foreign country where the parent resides. If your parent is already in the United States on another status, see “Adjustment of Status.”
  • The U.S. citizen sponsor must be age 21 or older.
  • The sponsor must have the financial means to support the parent until they start working.
  • The sponsor must live in the United States and have a U.S. address.
  • The sponsor must include a copy of their birth certificate to prove the relationship between the sponsor and parent.

Frequently Asked Questions

Is the IR-5 right for me?

The IR-5 parent visa allows U.S. citizens to bring foreign-born parents to the United States as permanent residents. If you have questions about your eligibility, you can speak to our Attorney On-Call and verify that both you and your parent meet the qualifications for the IR-5.

Is there a Residency Requirement to Sponsor?

Yes. The sponsoring citizen must be currently living in the United States.

Is there an Age Requirement to Sponsor?

Yes. You must also be at least age 21 to sponsor the IR-5 visa for a parent.

Are there a limited number of IR-5 Visas available?

No. Immediate Relative visas have no annual limits, meaning once all requirements are met there is no wait for a green card to become available.

If the IR-5 Parent Visa isn't right for your situation,

Check out our other immigration options, or speak to an On-Call Attorney to find the best route for you.

Get Started Now

The LawCaddy Team is here to help you every step of the way.


*Government Fees are NOT Included in LAWCADDY Price

Ask an Expert

Book a meeting with our On-Call Attorney to make sure you choose immigration option that is right for you.